Honoring Dr. King

This was a short week, but we started it in a very meaningful way, by examining the legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. While everyone in the class knew who Dr. King was, we dived into his actual speeches and writing to learn more about him in his own words. Reading pieces like his “Letter from a Birmingham Jail” and “Two Americas” really helped us understand how revolutionary his ideas were and the challenges he still poses today. The class worked on reading the articles and talking about them together, then writing up their own responses and how they still see Dr. King’s work around us today. What an inspirational exploration.

This week we expanded our work with negative numbers to start working more with absolute value. We continued our cycle of working, talking, and working again, which everyone seems to be really appreciating. I love seeing how the class grows and learns as we work together. We dove into a science world, but this time we worked on expanding the article, doing more research to add to the facts in the articles. It was interesting seeing them expand their research skills and follow their interests. We picked our newspaper winner, which was a bit of a challenge this time, but it was great reading everyone’s resolutions. Finally, we continued working on our service projects and History Fair presentations, which is some very challenging independent work. I love seeing how they work and talk together, helping their classmates learn and grow.

As a heads up, there should be communication about the class trip coming up which I am excited to share with you, so check your emails. Thanks for working with me to help these students become incredibly thoughtful and resourceful young adults. Have a great weekend and see you all next week.