A week of experiences

This was a week where I felt like we never even stepped foot in the classroom (an example of hyperbole. I’m making the class include an example in their blogs, so I felt I should do so as well). We had a health push-in on Tuesday about puberty and how our bodies change at that time. It was a really great presentation and had a good breadth of topics, while I wish it would have been more in-depth; I highly encourage you to have those hard conversations with your child. If you need resources, the school and I have several we can direct you to.

A new project that is rapidly spinning into a giant undertaking are our art installations. After reading and being inspired by Dale Chihuly, the class was thinking about ways to make their own art installations around school. In order to do this, each student is getting their own 2 x 4 ceiling tile to create their own piece. We talked about how to work in 3 dimensions and what kind of sketches are useful. We also watched a movie about women’s suffrage to get us ready for our Law Day essays, which was surprisingly powerful. It was amazing to watch the kids make connections and really empathize with the work these incredible figures did. We are continuing to work through our Invention curriculum. We had a blast discussing our Khan Academy work in a new and more intentional format, which I’m excited to continue refining. Thursday was a field trip to see Mytholomania, a play about Greek myths. The highlight was definitely seeing their rendition of the Odyssey in 12 minutes. We are discussing this version compared to the book, to see what they class thinks of each. I’m excited to see the connections they make. This was an incredibly fast week, but it was very productive. Have a great weekend everyone!

Just as a note, some illnesses are going around school, so stress handwashing and proper rest. Stay healthy everyone.